History of McCook
McCook, Nebraska was established in 1882 when the plat for the original town was filed, however, it was not officially organized as a village until December 3, 1883. It became a second-class city in 1886, and finally a first-class city on December 21, 1933. McCook was named in honor of Alexander McDowell McCook, a Brigadier General in the Union Army during the American Civil War.
George W Norris (July 11, 1861 - September 2, 1944) who held seats in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate from 1903 to 1943, was a resident of McCook. Norris was the driving force behind the conversion of Nebraska's legislature to a unicameral system; in the Senate, he was a leading figure behind the creation of the Tennessee Valley Authority. His house in McCook is operated as a museum by the Nebraska State Historical Society, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Main (north-south) street through central McCook has been named Norris Avenue.
Four governors of Nebraska made their homes in McCook: Ralph G. Brooks; Frank B. Morrison; Ben Nelson, who represented Nebraska in the U.S. Senate until 2013, and who McCook's was renamed in his honor; and Dave Heineman, who made his home in McCook temporarily, attending East Ward Elementary School for a couple of years.
The City of McCook is organized into the following different departments and offices: Administration, Building and Zoning, Police Department, Fire Department, Public Library, Public Works (which includes Airport, Ballparks, Cemeteries, Parks, Pool, Streets and Transfer Station), Senior Center (which includes Public Transit), and Utilities (which includes Water and Waste Water).
The City of McCook also hosts thirteen advisory boards and commissions for public service, public works, and the functions of the aforementioned departments and offices.