Tree Rebate Program
2022 Tree Rebate Program The City of McCook is sponsoring a Tree Rebate Program in an effort to encourage property owners to plant trees. This rebate program, as developed by the McCook Tree Advisory Board, is available to purchasers of trees under the following conditions:
1. The tree(s) must be planted on your property located in the city limits of McCook.
2. Two trees will be rebated per property owner or tenant, per lot, per spring and per fall. A third tree may be purchased and rebated if at least one of the three trees is planted on the terrace street right-of-way in the spring or in the fall. The owner must contact Digger’s Hotline at 800-331-5666 for locates prior to planting the tree.
3. Shade, Ornamental, and Focus Trees must be a minimum of six feet (6’) high. Conifer Trees must be a minimum of four feet (4’) high, limited to ONE and CANNOT be planted on the terrace.
4.Trees must be one of the following types:
- Amur Corktree
- Elm (Dutch Elm Disease Resistant)
- Golden Raintree
- Emerald Queen Maple
- Red Pointe Maple
- Hot WingsTatarian Maple
- Kentucky Coffee
- Thornless, Seedless Honey Locust
- Oak (English, White, Heritage or Bur Oak)
- Oak Leaf Mountain Ash
- Canadian Red Cherry
- Flowering Crab Apple
- Flowering Hawthorne
- Weeping Mulberry
- Weeping Cherry
- Japanese Lilac
- Yellow Wood
- Sugar Maple
5. Trees must be purchased by residents of McCook from McCook businesses.
6. Trees must be purchased and paid for in full between the dates of March 22, 2021 and June 4, 2021 with rebate requests received by June 18, 2021 in the spring. Trees must be purchased between the dates of August 23, 2021 and November 19, 2021 with rebate requests received by December 3, 2021 in the fall.
7. Upon planting the tree, the property owner shall mulch around the base of the tree a diameter of three (3') feet and two (2") inches deep, with a shredded wood or wood chip type mulching material. The cost of this mulching material may be included in the cost of the tree provided that the cost does not exceed the maximum rebate amount.
8. In order to receive a rebate, the purchaser must present a paid sales receipt stating the type, size and cost of the tree to the City Clerk at the McCook City Offices. Upon presenting the paid sales receipt, the purchaser will be required to sign a certification stating that the tree will be planted in accordance with these guidelines.
9. FOCUS TREE - KENTUCKY COFFEE TREE: A rebate equal to 75% of the total purchase price of each Oak (price of tree plus price of mulch material), not to exceed $100 per tree (maximum of three trees total), will be paid upon meeting the guidelines set out above.
10. SHADE, ORNAMENTAL, and CONIFER TREES: A rebate equal to 75% of the total purchase price of each shade, ornamental, and conifer tree (price of tree plus price of mulch material), not to exceed $75 per tree (maximum of three trees total), will be paid upon meeting the guidelines set out above.
11. Non residential or any other special exception plantings must be approved by the McCook Tree Advisory Board before the rebate will be offered. Download the rebate form. Ordinance Pertaining to Trees and Shrubs Before planting your new tree, please review the City of McCook Code of Ordianances pertaining to trees and shrubs. The City of McCook appreciates your cooperation in abiding by the municipal code and appreciates your attempt to make the City a more beautiful place in which to live.