General Fire Safety and Protection Tips
- Make sure all family members know what to do in the event of a fire.
- Draw a floor plan with at least two ways of escaping every room.
- Test windows and doors. Make sure they open easily.
- Choose a safe meeting place outside the house.
Be Prepared and Plan Ahead
- Practice evacuating the building.
- Practice staying low to the ground when escaping.
- Feel all doors before opening them. If a door is hot, escape another way.
- Learn to stop, drop, and roll if your clothes catch fire.
Additional Tips for Fire Safety
- Check smoke detectors once a month.
- Change the batteries at least twice a year.
- Post emergency numbers near telephones.
For more information, contact the Fire Department at 308-345-5710.