The building inspector is authorized and directed to enforce all provisions of the municipal code pertaining to building construction and repair under the direction of the city manager. The Building and Zoning Department's main goal is to protect life, limb, and property by enforcing codes for both contractors and owners.
Review our informational brochure regarding permit requirements, fees and building codes.
The functions of the Building and Zoning Department include:
- Completing permits for building, demolition, foundation, mobile home set down, moving, plumbing, and signs
- Filing, maintaining records, reviewing plans, correcting plans, and correspondence
- Researching city building and zoning code regulations, lot splits, rezoning, and variances
- Providing information to contractors and the public
- Providing field inspections for beams, decks, footings, foundation walls, framing, pools, setbacks, and sidewalks
- Inspecting plumbing and zoning conditions
- Providing code enforcement, including complaint response, notification, posting of nuisances (dangerous buildings, sidewalks, public health), correction notices, legal action, and court appearances
- Performing site visits for compliance checks